11/14/07

New Band, New Books

Hello Jewpunks!

Since last we spoke, much has happened. Just this weekend, I opened for a self-described "lesbian, transgender, Jewish punk band from Brooklyn" called The Shondes (Yiddish for "shame" in case you didn't know). They were great and they thought I was great and so mutual admiration is the order of the day and I think I'll have seconds. If you haven't seen The Shondes and you ever have the chance, check them out. They're a bit Sleater Kinney, a bit klezmer (dig that wild violin), a bit ... well, they're own damn thing. They're tighter than tight and their lead singer is possessed of an oh-my-god voice that carries not only power but the stab of sincerity. I can't say enough nice things about them. So, with that said, I'll now shut up.

Or, at least I'll shut up about The Shondes. In other news, I'm heading to Ann Arbor this weekend to appear at their Jewish Book Festival. I'm going to be doing the reading/discussing thing at the area Borders Books, Sunday Nov. 18, so if you're there and The Shondes aren't in town, come let your Jewpunk flag fly.

Otherwise, various pieces and tidbits are worthy of note:

1. The paperback edition of "Heebie-Jeebies" is now in the works. It should be out in April. In the meantime, be sure to pick up a copy (or 22) of the hardback version this Hanukkah/Christmas. They're sure to be collectors items (hah!) and they'll be the perfect gift for the Jew, punk or honorary Jew/punk in your life.

2. Of course, if you've already got your copy of Heebie-Jeebies and you've already bought plenty more for all your friends, there's another book with my name on it about to hit your local bookshop. It's called "AWAKE! A Reader for the Sleepless" and it's an anthology all about the subject of insomnia. I edited the damn thing, and if I say so myself, it's got some pretty fab stuff. There are stories by Jewboy Jonathan Ames ("Insomni-Whack" -- all about his masturbation solution to the curse of sleeplessness), more by Jewboy2 Steve Almond (a portrait of Lincoln as a sleepless seer on the Mississippi with Frederick Douglas), yet others by honorary Jewboys/girls Nicholas Montemarano ("Hello David Axelrod Superstar"), Aimee Bender (a great entry I simply can't describe here), Joyce Carol Oates (oy, she's busy) and that's just for starters. There are also poems, essays, comix, found pieces (compliments of FOUND magazine's Davy Rothbart), art and even some pics from Suicide Girl Cricket Suicide. Oh yeah, there's humor too. And an introduction by me. What's not to like?

3. As those who attended my recent reading/discussion at The Shondes show now know, I am officially announcing the formation of my new Jewish punk band, KIKE! Our first single is now in the works, and includes on the A Side, "Allen Ginsberg Up the Ass" ("I felt my face mashed like potato salad against the wall as Allen stuck his poetry up my ...") and on the B Side "(I Am) The Switzerland of Love." Both metaphorical explorations of various issues relevant to JewPunks like yourselves, they're also rocking numbers that will set your toes tapping as you hum them behind the four questions at your next Passover. They also will feature back-up singers The Kikettes (who will themselves be backed-up by The Shiksa Goddess Trio) and will include on drums my good pal and Schvartz Shabbat founder Steve Brykman (who may even play one of his Klezmerized Black Sabbath covers for your enjoyment). Oh yes, Brykman is also in the insomnia anthology, dispensing laughs in the same manner that he did w
hile serving as managing editor at National Lampoon.

4. If you would like to support KIKE! be sure to order your buttons and/or t-shirts ("I LIKE KIKE!") today. Just let me know if you're interested, and I'll give you some idea of the cost. It ain't much for the buttons, trust me. And they have the added benefit of calling to mind those campaign badges of our favorite Jewish president, Ike "Isaac" Eisenhower.

till next time,

sb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home