3/15/10

Reading with Steve Almond

I'll be reading with the super-funny, super-cool, all round super-duper Steve Almond this Thursday. The occasion is the release of Almond's book, Rock And Roll Will Save Your Life. I, as the opening act, will be doing my Heebie-Jeebies at CBGB's thang. In other words, it will be a literary battle of the bands with the two Steves going line to line, comma to comma to see who will be King of the Rawk Writers.

The event begins at 7:00 P.M. at the New England Institute of Art in Brookline Village (see poster). More info on Steve's book at: http://www.stevenalmond.com/index.html?utm_source=Masthead

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Sounds like a book I need. Have fun at the reading!

March 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM  
Blogger G-D said...

Thanks Susan! I'm looking forward to reading Almond's book too. Like his others loads. You should check out "My Life In Heavy Metal" or "The Evil B. B. Chow." Hell, while you're at it, take a look at his wonderful story in "AWAKE! A Reader for the Sleepless." That's right, in my anthology about insomnia -- Almond's story is a surreal trip down river with Abe Lincoln as a kind of sleepless Huck Finn and Frederick Douglass as a wise though prodding Jim. Other punks in the collection include Lydia Lunch, Gary Lucas and Cricket Suicide. And that's not even mentioning all the big name--and emerging--artists, writers, photographers, etc, etc. Hell, I'm getting so excited talking about it, I think I might just read from that book rather than "Heebie-Jeebies." Not exactly rock 'n' roll, but in terms of mixing things up it could count.

March 15, 2010 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I think I *did* read My Life in Heavy Metal. Of course. I picked it up, thinking it was my biography. (heh)

How'd it go?

March 17, 2010 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger G-D said...

Hey Susan,

Thanks for following up on the reading. It went great. In fact, I'm going to blog about it now. I'm surprised I haven't done so before.

Stay tuned!

s

March 26, 2010 at 6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home